Motorcycle Repair/manual fan switch

Question
hello bill , thanks for helpful advice in the past. recently, i wrote about my 86 1100 shadow, cooling fan doesnt come on, and you  stated that you , in a similar situation, wired in a switch, Im good with the mechanical stuff, wiring is  so so. the temperature switch is in the thermostat housing, is this  a good place  to wire in mine ? suggestions  ? thanks, Frank

Answer
Frank, the sensor by the thermostat is usually for the temp gauge, not the fan.

The fan switch should be in the radiator.   

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-vt1100c-shadow-1100-1987-usa_model800/partslist/F++29  #33

The fan switch is just a thermal on-off switch to ground. If you put a toggle switch in parallel with the fan switch with one leg grounded, then either one will turn the fan on.

12v......  Fan Motor...   fan switch ... ground
         I   toggle switch... ground

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver