Motorcycle Repair/manual fan switch

hello bill , thanks for helpful advice in the past. recently, i wrote about my 86 1100 shadow, cooling fan doesnt come on, and you  stated that you , in a similar situation, wired in a switch, Im good with the mechanical stuff, wiring is  so so. the temperature switch is in the thermostat housing, is this  a good place  to wire in mine ? suggestions  ? thanks, Frank

Frank, the sensor by the thermostat is usually for the temp gauge, not the fan.

The fan switch should be in the radiator.  #33

The fan switch is just a thermal on-off switch to ground. If you put a toggle switch in parallel with the fan switch with one leg grounded, then either one will turn the fan on.

12v......  Fan Motor...   fan switch ... ground
         I   toggle switch... ground

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.