Motorcycle Repair/Sleeve vs Rebore

I have just torn down my early 84' xlx 1000 ironhead to find the front cylinder to be at 3.229 at its widest diameter and 3.195 at its narrowest of six measured diameters.  This being known and working on a shoestring budget, in your opinion, would I be better off to bore it .40 or .60 over or sleeve both cylinders back to the stock 3.188?

Either way you go you have to bore the cylinder. If you go oversize you need to bore it to the piston, not to a certain size. If you install a new sleeve you have to bore it to fit the sleeve and then hone it for the piston. Boring it for the bigger piston would be cheaper.
Good luck and happy riding

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION!!! I CAN ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT HARLEYS !!! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT OTHER MODELS!!! IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ABOUT A NON HARLEY BIKE IT WILL GET REJECTED!!!I have a Harley only shop with 30 years experience located in Ohio. We specialize in complete and total repair, restoration, hi-performance, and custom bike building. I can work on Flat Heads to Twin Cams. Please, dont ask how much somthing is going to cost to fix. Labor prices differ all over te country as well as shop to shop!

If its broke on a harley we can repair it. We do complete restoration from the frame up, engine and trans rebuilding, remapping and custom bike building

School of hard knocks!