Motorcycle Repair/Sleeve vs Rebore

Question
I have just torn down my early 84' xlx 1000 ironhead to find the front cylinder to be at 3.229 at its widest diameter and 3.195 at its narrowest of six measured diameters.  This being known and working on a shoestring budget, in your opinion, would I be better off to bore it .40 or .60 over or sleeve both cylinders back to the stock 3.188?

Answer
Either way you go you have to bore the cylinder. If you go oversize you need to bore it to the piston, not to a certain size. If you install a new sleeve you have to bore it to fit the sleeve and then hone it for the piston. Boring it for the bigger piston would be cheaper.
Good luck and happy riding
Mike

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells