Motorcycle Repair/1974 FXE dry clutch

QUESTION: I have about 1/2 qt of oil in the dry clutch - is this okay?

ANSWER: Are you running a belt or chain in the primary?

QUESTION: it is a chain

ANSWER: Yes. You are always going to have some oil in the there. The oil pump pumps it over to oil the chain and then it is sucked back at the back of the primary
Good luck and happy riding

QUESTION: The back of the primary has been plugged, also can't you put a breather line on the oil pump vent tube and plug the vent tube going into the primary.  Can you change the clutch and steel plates out to change it to a wet clutch? I thought the oil would make the plates sticky or gummy. Thanks for your help.

You cant plug the vent, but you can run a line towards the bottom of the bike and then plug the vent line on the primary. I dont know of anyone who makes a wet clutch for a 74 shovel. Either way you go, whether have oil in there or oil pumped in, the clutches will still get some oil on them. The problem lies in letting the bike sit for a long time. Then the plates get sticky
Good luck and happy riding

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION!!! I CAN ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT HARLEYS !!! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT OTHER MODELS!!! IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ABOUT A NON HARLEY BIKE IT WILL GET REJECTED!!!I have a Harley only shop with 30 years experience located in Ohio. We specialize in complete and total repair, restoration, hi-performance, and custom bike building. I can work on Flat Heads to Twin Cams. Please, dont ask how much somthing is going to cost to fix. Labor prices differ all over te country as well as shop to shop!

If its broke on a harley we can repair it. We do complete restoration from the frame up, engine and trans rebuilding, remapping and custom bike building

School of hard knocks!