Motorcycle Repair/1976 honda cb750 f

QUESTION: my bike is charging at over 16.5 volts I have replaced the regulator and rectifier and checked the main battery ground.  do you have ant other suggestions

ANSWER: Brian, are your replacement regulator and rectifiers aftermarket solid-state units or just OEM replacements?  The original voltage regulators have a points-type current regulator inside which can be adjusted, following the shop manual directions.

Bill Silver

QUESTION: the new part is aftermarket regulator rectifier  all in one unit .  however the new part and the old parts are charging at the same voltage.  I have swapt them back and forth several times and am getting the same voltage readings.  I also cleaned up the ground wire to make sure it was not a ground issue.

Brian, are you starting with a fully-charged, load tested battery? If the battery has a bad cell, you could be having a system trying to overcome that with excess voltage output. I know you can adjust the old points-type regulators, but perhaps not the new one. Test out the rest of the components, including the stator and the field coil to see if they are to specifications, as well.

Use the link from previous reply to dial in the voltage output with the regulator adjustments.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.