Motorcycle Repair/82 iornhead clutch adjustment

Question
Replaced clutch cable. adjusted clutch.  still wont disengage when in gear. engine off put in gear pull clutch not having an effect. started procedure in neutral. followed instructions Clymer manual. and Harley manual. there's 2 adjustments maybe if you explain what they are and why you do both. I can understand why I'm not getting the proper result. I had this same problem the last time it broke and suspected warpage which was not the case. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you for your support. Ron from Maryland. 82 iornhead 1000cc sportster xlh. elect start.

Answer
Lets start over adjusting the clutch. Turn the adjuster for the clutch outward so there is alot of play in the cable. Now go to the cable and loosen it alot. Now you have to make sure the cable is pushed all the way back into the primary cover, as far as it will go. If you dont you wont get it adjusted correctly. Now go to the clutch adjuster and turn it inward, just until it bottoms out. then turn it outward about 1/8 turn and set the locknut. Now go to the cable and adjust it till you have about 1/8 inch play in the clutch lever. try this and let me know
Mike

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells