Motorcycle Repair/82 iornhead clutch adjustment

Replaced clutch cable. adjusted clutch.  still wont disengage when in gear. engine off put in gear pull clutch not having an effect. started procedure in neutral. followed instructions Clymer manual. and Harley manual. there's 2 adjustments maybe if you explain what they are and why you do both. I can understand why I'm not getting the proper result. I had this same problem the last time it broke and suspected warpage which was not the case. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you for your support. Ron from Maryland. 82 iornhead 1000cc sportster xlh. elect start.

Lets start over adjusting the clutch. Turn the adjuster for the clutch outward so there is alot of play in the cable. Now go to the cable and loosen it alot. Now you have to make sure the cable is pushed all the way back into the primary cover, as far as it will go. If you dont you wont get it adjusted correctly. Now go to the clutch adjuster and turn it inward, just until it bottoms out. then turn it outward about 1/8 turn and set the locknut. Now go to the cable and adjust it till you have about 1/8 inch play in the clutch lever. try this and let me know

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION!!! I CAN ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT HARLEYS !!! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT OTHER MODELS!!! IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ABOUT A NON HARLEY BIKE IT WILL GET REJECTED!!!I have a Harley only shop with 30 years experience located in Ohio. We specialize in complete and total repair, restoration, hi-performance, and custom bike building. I can work on Flat Heads to Twin Cams. Please, dont ask how much somthing is going to cost to fix. Labor prices differ all over te country as well as shop to shop!

If its broke on a harley we can repair it. We do complete restoration from the frame up, engine and trans rebuilding, remapping and custom bike building

School of hard knocks!