Motorcycle Repair/92 harley softail return spring

hi i have a 1992 harley softail i think the shifter return spring broke i know have to do manual up shift down shift is it a huge project to replace im a mechanical inclined individual were do i start ? your help would be much appreciated thanks

The broken spring you are referring to is located inside the tranny. To get to it the inner primary has to come off, since you cant get the shifter shaft out with it in place. You also have to remove the top cover and the shifter drum.
If is a pretty big project if you have never done it.
Good luck and happy riding

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION!!! I CAN ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT HARLEYS !!! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT OTHER MODELS!!! IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ABOUT A NON HARLEY BIKE IT WILL GET REJECTED!!!I have a Harley only shop with 30 years experience located in Ohio. We specialize in complete and total repair, restoration, hi-performance, and custom bike building. I can work on Flat Heads to Twin Cams. Please, dont ask how much somthing is going to cost to fix. Labor prices differ all over te country as well as shop to shop!

If its broke on a harley we can repair it. We do complete restoration from the frame up, engine and trans rebuilding, remapping and custom bike building

School of hard knocks!