Motorcycle Repair/Float Bowl Gaskets

Question
Hi Bill I have a 1982 Honda Sabre and need to replace the float bowl gaskets do I need to remove the carbs to replace the gaskets or can I do it without removing the carbs  Also I only have the front throttle cable is the back one the same as the front or different ?

Many Thanks
Stuart

Answer
Stuart, if you have the correct, right-angle screwdrivers to get to the bowl screws AND you are able to loosen them in place, then you probably can replace the bowl gaskets. Are you sure that the problem is just the gaskets? Leaking float valves can cause the bowl levels to be excessively high and that will aggravate the drooling problems around the edges of the bowls. Of course, after 31 years the gaskets have a right to harden up, shrink and leak. If the bowl screws have never been loosened, they can get corroded in place and become VERY difficult to remove, even with the carb rack removed.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-vf750s-v45-sabre-1982-usa_model1116/partslist/E++1801

The front and rear throttle cables are completely different, so no-go there on swapping them back and forth.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-vf750s-v45-sabre-1982-usa_model1116/partslist/F++03.h

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver