Motorcycle Repair/real pulley


I have a 2004 FSTBI. I have plenty of power for my weight and would like to raise the gear ratio. What is the best way to do raise the ratio? I have looked for a smaller rear pulley, I was thinking about 66 in but I can not find anything. I have also thought about changing to a gear drive cam. What are the benefits vs. cost?

You can add a tooth or two to the front pulley which would do what you wanted.
The benefits to changing to cam driven cams is, first you can install a more performance cam. Second you get rid of the chains and the chain tensioners. the tensioners have to be changed around 25,000 miles if you keep them
Good luck and happy riding

Motorcycle Repair

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mike Wells


PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION!!! I CAN ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT HARLEYS !!! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT OTHER MODELS!!! IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ABOUT A NON HARLEY BIKE IT WILL GET REJECTED!!!I have a Harley only shop with 30 years experience located in Ohio. We specialize in complete and total repair, restoration, hi-performance, and custom bike building. I can work on Flat Heads to Twin Cams. Please, dont ask how much somthing is going to cost to fix. Labor prices differ all over te country as well as shop to shop!


If its broke on a harley we can repair it. We do complete restoration from the frame up, engine and trans rebuilding, remapping and custom bike building

School of hard knocks!

©2017 All rights reserved.