Motorcycle Repair/1980 cbx 1000

Question
Hello I am currently working on a cbx which was used as a race bike a number of years ago, Russ Collins Engine, Tony Foal Frame,I have got the bike running,(no air box velocity stacks) It will not idle below 2000 rpm for any length of time but revs freely above without hesitation. I have had the carbs down and cleaned but can see no evidence of jet sizes, can you point me in the right direction, with more years than I care to admit as a mechanic this has me stumped. regards Kenny

Answer
Hi Kenny,

The idle circuit is the culprit.  slow-running/idle is done through a very small (#35)jet which is pressed in to the tube next to the main jet rube.  if you go to the CBXclub.com website there have been numerous discussions about this.  To remove these jets you have to tap them with a small tap, insert a screw and pull the jet out.  Then clean it and re-assemble.

Let me know how you get on,

Jan

Motorcycle Repair

Jan Ringnalda