Motorcycle Repair/CA160 6mm transmission bushing locating pin sheared

Hi Bill, I'm rebuilding my 1965 CA160 and the bushing locating pin on the lay shaft (part number 90702-200-000) is sheared off. I can't find any NOS ones online and though I found some in a case at the local salvage place, they were already bent up, even with only 8000 miles on the motor. I understand this is a common problem on these and that a part like this is designed to break first and protect other parts from breaking.

My question is this: How much trouble am I asking for if I replace these pins with a solid steel pin? If it matters, I'm not going to be racing this bike - just countryside touring.

Thanks in advance!

Bob, I ran across a problem like this for a CB160 engine last year. As long as the pin isn't feeding oil into the bushing there, then a solid pin should work just fine.

To keep the CB160 from bending its dowel pin again, I used a 7mm pin from a CB77 engine, which has a thicker wall, as well as a larger OD for improved strength and reliability.
90705-259-020 PIN, KNOCK (7 X 12) I just drilled the bushing and case hole out carefully and installed the new pin as-is, if I recall correctly.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.