Motorcycle Repair/CA160 6mm transmission bushing locating pin sheared

Question
Hi Bill, I'm rebuilding my 1965 CA160 and the bushing locating pin on the lay shaft (part number 90702-200-000) is sheared off. I can't find any NOS ones online and though I found some in a case at the local salvage place, they were already bent up, even with only 8000 miles on the motor. I understand this is a common problem on these and that a part like this is designed to break first and protect other parts from breaking.

My question is this: How much trouble am I asking for if I replace these pins with a solid steel pin? If it matters, I'm not going to be racing this bike - just countryside touring.

Thanks in advance!

Answer
Bob, I ran across a problem like this for a CB160 engine last year. As long as the pin isn't feeding oil into the bushing there, then a solid pin should work just fine.

To keep the CB160 from bending its dowel pin again, I used a 7mm pin from a CB77 engine, which has a thicker wall, as well as a larger OD for improved strength and reliability.
90705-259-020 PIN, KNOCK (7 X 12) I just drilled the bushing and case hole out carefully and installed the new pin as-is, if I recall correctly.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver