Motorcycle Repair/Changing Rear Tyre To wider One

I am a person suffering from back ache and not in a financial position to afford car travel
everytime . The state of  roads here are pathetic with gutters. Honda Unicorn is known to be having the best suspension system and riding comfort in India. I also watched it,but noticed the width of the rear tyre is comparatively less than that of Yamaha FZ and Bajaj pulzar. So to reduce the shock effect in indian roades I would like to use a wider rear tyre( as that of pulzar or fz)for Unicorn. If needed  I am ready to change front tyre also.. am not over cocerned about milage.Will my experement  back fire?Would Like to Know your valuable Openion..

Anoop Narayanan From TVM,Kerala

There are two reasons for tire dimensions, one small one is for comfort and flex, the other and much more important is to give optimum handling to the motorcycle.  The tire size will affect the speed of turn-on, the stability and the cornering performance of the motorcycle.  You have only considered one aspect of all of these, and actually the least important design consideration; comfort.  Secondly there are clearance aspects, both on the side of the swing-arm and in the height when the suspension is compressed.  So before putting on bigger tires, please talk to other people who have this bike and see if they have any experience with tire changes.  Good luck,  Jan

Motorcycle Repair

Jan Ringnalda

PLEASE NOTE: PLEASE READ THIS!!! I can help with questions ONLY on any Honda CBX-1000 motorcycle, only 1978 to 1982. OR 1981 to 1983 Honda CB1100R models ONLY Honda CBX/CB1100R motorcycles, Please NO other makes, no other models. IF YOUR QUESTION IS FOR ANY OTHER BIKE Your question MAY BE FORWARDED TO THE QUESTION POOL WHERE IT MAY NEVER BE ANSWERED. IF I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION, and you feel the need to give me marks lower than 10, first post a follow up question. If you mark me lower, I will respond and you run the risk I will never, ever, answer one of your questions again. I'm doing this free of charge, as a service to fellow motorcyclists. If you do not value my time, I do...

Have owned over 50 of these fine classic Honda motorcycles

International CBX Owners Association, SAE, Materials Research Society

CBXPress, VLMC magazine, Used Bike Guide

PhD in Materials Science, Post-Doc in prototyping automotive components