Motorcycle Repair/watercooling for CG250cc atv

Question
Ive got a 250cc watercooled atv, my waterpump packed up, i can get a new one, but was thinking to convert to electric waterpump? What must i do, or can i just put a electric pump?

Answer
Deon, I don't know anything about your vehicle, but adding an electric waterpump is probably not the best idea for engine longevity, unless you are going to blank off the engine case where the old pump was. You would want the impeller to be out of the fluid flow of an outside pump. If it isn't turning and doing its job to move coolant through the motor, then it becomes a flow restriction that might cause cavitation when an external pump is being used. Assuming the original pump is driven off of a shaft or gear, you would have to cap off that end of the pump housing, as well, removing or modifying the drive system. I suggest that you stay with the OEM parts for a quick and easy repair. Either replace the pump assembly or install a repair kit that fits your model.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver