Motorcycle Repair/cb77 piston rings

Question
hi , i have just got new pistons and rings for honda cb77 but are not sure which of the top 2 rings go where , one has chamfer , the other has a definite drop

Answer
Keith, the bright shiny ring is the top compression ring and is pretty much symmetrical. The second compression ring is an oil scraper ring and has the machined, dropped edge on the bottom.  Make sure that the manufacturer's mark and/or size markings are UP.

Some of the later ring sets are all chromed, so you have to look more carefully at the type of ring it is. The early ones are dulled and only the top compression ring is chrome plated.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver