Motorcycle Repair/cb77 piston rings

hi , i have just got new pistons and rings for honda cb77 but are not sure which of the top 2 rings go where , one has chamfer , the other has a definite drop

Keith, the bright shiny ring is the top compression ring and is pretty much symmetrical. The second compression ring is an oil scraper ring and has the machined, dropped edge on the bottom.  Make sure that the manufacturer's mark and/or size markings are UP.

Some of the later ring sets are all chromed, so you have to look more carefully at the type of ring it is. The early ones are dulled and only the top compression ring is chrome plated.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.