Motorcycle Repair/shovelhead head gasket replacement

QUESTION: Hi do I need to take the set adjustment out of my engine to remove and replace the pushrods or can I just remove and replace them like they came out?once I remove the heads for gasket replacement'i have a feeling I need to anyway just for removal purposes and if so what is the sequence? Both intake and exhaust on one cylinder  or what?I know there's a system just need to know what it is  thanks

ANSWER: Do you have solid pushrods or hydraulic ?

QUESTION: Not sure whatever's stock in a 78 shovelhead I'm gonna say hydraulic

You will have to take the adjustment out of the pushrods to remove the heads. The rear head will not come up high enough and the tappets might suck up some oil when you take the pressure off them.
Once you have the head gaskets repaired remove the tappets. Looking at the bottom of them you will see a small hole. Push a wire int he hole and pump the top against the spring. You will see oil coming out of the hole. Pump all the oil out of all 4. Now you have them collapsed. Put int he pushrods and covers. Rotate the motor until the front exhaust tappet is all the way at the bottom of its stroke. Now adjust the pushrod length until it bottoms out and then back out 1 3/4 turns and tighten. Now that one is done go to the next one and do the same thing and so on. Once you have completed this they are all adjusted. Once you start the bike they will have to pump up, so at first you might get a rattle
Good luck and happy riding

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION!!! I CAN ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT HARLEYS !!! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT OTHER MODELS!!! IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ABOUT A NON HARLEY BIKE IT WILL GET REJECTED!!!I have a Harley only shop with 30 years experience located in Ohio. We specialize in complete and total repair, restoration, hi-performance, and custom bike building. I can work on Flat Heads to Twin Cams. Please, dont ask how much somthing is going to cost to fix. Labor prices differ all over te country as well as shop to shop!

If its broke on a harley we can repair it. We do complete restoration from the frame up, engine and trans rebuilding, remapping and custom bike building

School of hard knocks!