Motorcycle Repair/throttle shaft binding

I have a 2008 Yamaha V-star 1100 classic. After fixing gas leak on carbs, went to bolt carbs to center bracket. Checking throttle shaft for operation, I noticed a binding issue. I could rotate shaft to open throttle but it would not release back to closed position.Throttle cables were not hooked up at that time.I could back the bolts out that joined carb to bracket and slightly pull carbs apart and throttle shaft worked perfect. but bolt carb back to bracket and have binding issue.

Hello Billy,

The most complicated and hard to figure out, are the problems caused by human error...
So, since the problem occurred AFTER you dismantled the bodies, let's rewind step by step.
My first guess is that you mixed and misplaced pipe-like spacers, located between carb body
and main bracket. This causes the bodies to misalign when tightened and the throttle linkage to get stressed. Take a look here: . Pay attention to parts #63 and #75.
Are they in place? Tighten bolt #60 first and observe the gap between main bracket and body at the point were the spacer goes. Are the carburetors parallel?
I wish I could help you more, but that would require detailed photos of your carbs, in order for me to troubleshoot further and more accurate.

Best Regards,

Motorcycle Repair

Lazaros Ampatzidis

I can help you on EVERY issue involving POST-1980 Japanese Motorcycles plus KTM and Husaberg. My field of expertise includes Engine, Transmission, Fuel system (carburation & EFI),Electrics and Electronics. Maintenance, repair and tuning. Road and off-road suspension tuning. Please don't ask me about non-Japanese Motorcycle, especially American built on which I have low to zero experience.

I'm a rider and hobbyist since childhood. 25 years motorcycle workshop mechanic.15 years motorcycle racing mechanic. In order of experience high to low:Kawasaki,Suzuki,Honda,Yamaha,KTM,Husaberg.

Hellenic (Greek) Technical School.Internal Combustion Engines Engineer. Automotive Electronics.