Motorcycle Repair/2003 Harley Davidson Sportster XL1200C starts up but wont move

My Question has to do with my motorcycle, which is a Harley Davidson Sportster XL1200 Custom. about 5 months ago, I noticed my 4th gear to my bike, wasnt engaging, it was lost completely. It wouldn't shift into 4th at all,  but all other gears were working fine while riding. Shortly after that, putting an additional 500-1000 miles on it. The Primary chain snapped and broke while riding, when it occurred the bike engine reved up high and as RPM's dropped my bike shut down, and It wouldn't start until I replaced the broken one, and installed a new one, along with the chain adjuster shoe. My bike starts right up perfectly just doesn't move. The gear shifter does shift but it won't move's seems as if it's in neutral, but gears still click but my.guage that usually shows a Green light with "N" for nuetral doesn't light up. So I'm.confused and I would greatly appreciate your help. It appears to be installed correctly, but I have very little experience in troubleshooting my bike. I installed primary chain according to a how to video on YouTube, which was vauge and short with detail. Whats wrong with it? Why doesnt it move? I amguessing maybe I skipped a step or its something minuscule that I'm.over looking.

Your problem sounds like the transmission is damaged. With not being able to go into 4th gear that started the problem. Your chain broke, because the tranny most likely locked up. Now it wont shift into any gear. The transmission will have to be pulled out and inspected for damage.

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION!!! I CAN ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT HARLEYS !!! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT OTHER MODELS!!! IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ABOUT A NON HARLEY BIKE IT WILL GET REJECTED!!!I have a Harley only shop with 30 years experience located in Ohio. We specialize in complete and total repair, restoration, hi-performance, and custom bike building. I can work on Flat Heads to Twin Cams. Please, dont ask how much somthing is going to cost to fix. Labor prices differ all over te country as well as shop to shop!

If its broke on a harley we can repair it. We do complete restoration from the frame up, engine and trans rebuilding, remapping and custom bike building

School of hard knocks!