Motorcycle Repair/2006 Suzuki DL650 ECU problem (???)

I have a 2006 V-Strom and too days ago I found it fall down.
The side stant gone in the asfalt because it was very fresh.
The damage was left mirror, left front turn signal, and gear lever.
Also the motorcycle does not start. No signal from the starter.
I went it to the local Suzuki othorized work shop and they tell me
they checked everything and it is O.K. so the only thing left is the ECU - the bike "brain" and it will cost about 1200 euros.
My question is, can a simple fall not a crash, burn the ecu?
It looks very strange to me. Please HELP.

Yia sou - greetings

Hello Hellen,

Let me see if I got it right! Since they found nothing else, they came up with a bad ECU...!!!

I'm not saying it's not, but I find it hard to believe that a simple fall caused that.

Anyway, 99 times out of 100, when a V-strom falls on it's left side, the clutch lever switch
terminals get of. That would make a fool out of your mechanic, but I would suggest you give it
a try.

You can check it by yourself. Just next to the bolt that holds the clutch lever on it's holder
you will see the position switch. Check whether the two-wire terminal is in place.
It would be better if you take it off and then reinstall it, to make sure it's properly fitted.

If this isn't the case, it would be nice if you give me a list with the checks carried out,
and the results of each one.

If that's not possible I'll make you a troubleshooting plan, with the proper sequence to follow.

Waiting for your follow-up.

Best Regards,
Lazaros Ampatzidis.  

Motorcycle Repair

Lazaros Ampatzidis

I can help you on EVERY issue involving POST-1980 Japanese Motorcycles plus KTM and Husaberg. My field of expertise includes Engine, Transmission, Fuel system (carburation & EFI),Electrics and Electronics. Maintenance, repair and tuning. Road and off-road suspension tuning. Please don't ask me about non-Japanese Motorcycle, especially American built on which I have low to zero experience.

I'm a rider and hobbyist since childhood. 25 years motorcycle workshop mechanic.15 years motorcycle racing mechanic. In order of experience high to low:Kawasaki,Suzuki,Honda,Yamaha,KTM,Husaberg.

Hellenic (Greek) Technical School.Internal Combustion Engines Engineer. Automotive Electronics.