Motorcycle Repair/69 CT90K1 carb

69 Honda CT90K1 early carb
69 Honda CT90K1 early  

69 Honda CT90K1 early carb
69 Honda CT90K1 early  
1969 CT90K1 early carburetor 4-screw bowl and thin o-ring bowl gasket that installs in a groove:

Got what appears to be a good rebuild kit Keyster KH-0203N

Got it apart and soaked in acetone for days.

Float pivot pin solidly stuck, have hit lightly, tried to twist. Any suggestion? Dare I heat the two "stanchions" holding its ends?

Main jet: the apx 1/4" x 1 1/2" machined brass tubular part under the main jet screw, how does it come out? Have pushed and hit lightly, no movement.

Dave, first of all your K1 carb should be setup with a 23.5mm float level and a #78 main jet. Keyster kits are often incorrectly calibrated, but it looks like this one is okay.

Soak the float pin in penetrating oil/carb cleaner. I use a duckbill pliers to help nudge them out of place by pushing on the end of the pin with one side of the pliers and securing the other side against the float pin stanchion. Drill a pin sized hole in the edge of a piece of wood and use the wood to support the stanchion while driving the pin down into the hole as a last resort. You could use localized heat, perhaps from a high powered soldering iron to work loose remaining varnish/corrosion. Some phosphoric acid applied with a Q-tip might help, too.

The main jet emulsion tube can be pushed out from the top using a hard wooden chop stick in most cases.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.