Motorcycle Repair/Rust

Question
I'm looking at purchasing a used 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD. The bike has some minor rust. However, the bike sounds good and runs good. My question is, would whatever conditions the bike was in before, that caused the rust to occur cause any internal damage to the engine our crankcase? Thank you very much for your time.

Answer
Hello Brock,

There are many reasons for external parts rusting. Left out in the rain, too much salt on the streets due to low temperatures and/or usage near the sea, and failure to wash with fresh water, to name the most common.

The bike in question, although equipped with a bulletproof engine, has a rather poor anti-rust
protection on the chassis parts.   

The main concern should be the aluminum parts...
What I mean is that if there is rust on the steel parts but no decay or corrosion on the aluminum ones, then there is low to no reason to worry.

Additionally, check the service book, and if the engine oil was changed at least once a year,
then go ahead and have no fear...

If there's something I left uncovered or if you have any other concern, please, feel free to come back any time.

Kind Regards,
Lazaros Ampatzidis.

Motorcycle Repair

Lazaros Ampatzidis