Motorcycle Repair/stripped out cam adjusting bolt

Question
I have a 1981 CB900C. I know you said you work on 1100's so i thought maybe motors are similar. The front cam adjusting bolt stripped out. Just wondering how to install a time-set or helicoil insert with motor in frame. It's tough to get drill bit in there square, and tap of course. You said if you didn't know you could forward the question. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

Answer
You will need to remove the valve cover and remove the cams.  Then remove the tensioner since you will need to drill the hole suitable for the insert.  Once you have drilled and before inserting the helicoil or threadsert, make sure you do not insert the helicoil or threadsert too far, the rod has to be able to move freely to adjust the chain with the locking bolt loose.  This is a tricky repair, but can be done. Make sure you catch all the swarf and don't drop anything into the motor. Good luck,  Jan

Motorcycle Repair

Jan Ringnalda