You are here:

Motorcycle Repair/stripped out cam adjusting bolt


I have a 1981 CB900C. I know you said you work on 1100's so i thought maybe motors are similar. The front cam adjusting bolt stripped out. Just wondering how to install a time-set or helicoil insert with motor in frame. It's tough to get drill bit in there square, and tap of course. You said if you didn't know you could forward the question. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

You will need to remove the valve cover and remove the cams.  Then remove the tensioner since you will need to drill the hole suitable for the insert.  Once you have drilled and before inserting the helicoil or threadsert, make sure you do not insert the helicoil or threadsert too far, the rod has to be able to move freely to adjust the chain with the locking bolt loose.  This is a tricky repair, but can be done. Make sure you catch all the swarf and don't drop anything into the motor. Good luck,  Jan

Motorcycle Repair

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jan Ringnalda


PLEASE NOTE: PLEASE READ THIS!!! I can help with questions ONLY on any Honda CBX-1000 motorcycle, only 1978 to 1982. OR 1981 to 1983 Honda CB1100R models ONLY Honda CBX/CB1100R motorcycles, Please NO other makes, no other models. IF YOUR QUESTION IS FOR ANY OTHER BIKE Your question MAY BE FORWARDED TO THE QUESTION POOL WHERE IT MAY NEVER BE ANSWERED. IF I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION, and you feel the need to give me marks lower than 10, first post a follow up question. If you mark me lower, I will respond and you run the risk I will never, ever, answer one of your questions again. I'm doing this free of charge, as a service to fellow motorcyclists. If you do not value my time, I do...


Have owned over 50 of these fine classic Honda motorcycles

International CBX Owners Association, SAE, Materials Research Society

CBXPress, VLMC magazine, Used Bike Guide

PhD in Materials Science, Post-Doc in prototyping automotive components

©2017 All rights reserved.