Motorcycle Repair/Years?

Hello Bill,  I just picked up a CL77 & CB77 rolling frames and would like to know what years they are.  CB77-1028489 & CL77-1022617  Thanks for your help.

John, Honda began using the 7 digit serial numbers in the 1965 production run. The CB is most likely a late 1965 or early 1966 model. The CL77 was probably built around the same time frame. Honda didn't make year/model distinctions during those three years of 1965-67, so you have to divide the total production numbers up, roughly by one third. They did about 54,000 CBs and 68,000 CLs during those years.

I have Restoration Guide packages for all three 250-305 series machines that will completely educate you on the major and minor changes made throughout their production runs.

Bill Silver  

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.