Motorcycle Repair/Honda ca95 oil flow, dowel location-

Hi Bill,
Rebuilding a Honda ca95 engine 196_? and not sure if i need to install a dowel (knock pin) on the upper main case to cylinder base on the right hand aft side where the oil travels up the stud. there is a groove in the upper case which travels inboard to a drilled hole but i am not sure where it terminates and if the dowel is installed no oil will be able to flow into the groove…. i am worried that with out the dowel the top end will not be lubricated due to no pressure build up. Neither parts or service manuals or searches have turned up any information. thanks in advance for your time and help, Happy Holidays,
ama,vjmc and amca member

CA95 engine views
CA95 engine views  
Joe, Normally the knock pins are used to index the cylinders to the crankcase and the head to the cylinders. In the case of the Benly twins, the two studs on the left end of the crankcase do that task, so there is no need for a knock pin on the case where the oil feeds through to the top end.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.