Motorcycle Repair/1979 Yamaha 11- special- lighting problems

Question
Hi Gary. The bike has two problems. The first is the headlight. It worked on dim only for months, then quit completely. Replaced sealed beam to no avail, then the signal lights quit working. I only have tail and a brake light that works. All bulbs look good, and I find no blown fuses. I know parts are getting harder to find. Are there some replacable relays for these problems? Thanks.

Answer
Buck, Some of the Yamaha bikes had a headlight relay that kept the headlight off until started to direct more power to start. But there  may be a ground problem as with the turn signals. Do the front lights stay on and also flash when using the turn signal,the back only flash. These kind of work when the bulbs and the circuit is large eough to take the current to the ground causing the flasher to trip breaking the flow momentarily. Check all the grounds you can find and clean and retighten them.

Motorcycle Repair

Gary Blake