Motorcycle Repair/82 honda tank

I have a 1982 honda nighthawk 450. My gas tank is leaking and no one makes this year model tank anymore. Is there any other year model tank that will fit my bike that is not discontinued? Please help and thank you very much for your time

Samuel, it has been 30 years since your bike was built. Honda only keeps things in inventory for about a 10 year window of time. The tanks from a CB/CM 400 should work and most of the other ones, but the E models have more fuel capacity and are a bit longer so there may be some interference between the seat and the fuel tank.    Ebay item number 300990891701 in case the whole URL doesn't come through.

IF you don't care about the paint you can have a radiator shop boil it out and coat it with sealer and/or repair small leaks then seal it. POR15 is a good product, but it depends upon the size of the leaks. You have to clean the inside of the tank with MEK or something to remove the old gas deposits, then attack with anti-rust products, then seal it up as the final step.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.