Motorcycle Repair/Bike won't even attempt to start

Question
I think this I a general motorcycle question. I have a 2000 honda shadow 1100 spirit. It has been sitting for 3 years. I put a new battery to check if it has power and might start. All the lights come on, with what seems to be full power, but when I push the starter button the lights dim and it doesn't even attempt to start. What can I do?

Answer
I think the Battery needs to be replac3ed. I purchased a new battery for my Bike while
I was still building it. It sat on my bench for 1 year and it went bad. I replaced it and now
it turns over just fine. A battery can have 12 volts and enough amperage to lite
the lights, but not enough amperage to turn it over.
You can put a charger on the battery to see if it will take a charge. Or pull the battery and take it to a auto parts store for a load test to see if has gone bad. When a battery just sits the acid begins to deteriorate the lead plates. You can also as a precaution, pull the spark plugs and put 3 to 5 drips of oil on top of the cylinders to lubricate them as its been sitting so long. Also the carburetors are most likely lacquered up and will need a good cleaning or rebuilt. You can contact me here if you need carburetor assistance. www.viragocarb.com

Motorcycle Repair

william joseph stack