Motorcycle Repair/Battery Life?

Question
Hello Gary. Its me with the 2010 Yamaha Majesty again. Yesterday I had the battery cover off. I was playing with the Dynatek FI Controller. To see what it shows on a PC. Decided to Test my Battery. Its the Original unit. Bike was built June 09. I have owned it since Aug 2012. I think the Battery is about 5 years old. Not 100% sure. When I tested it was 41F, CCA tested at 195. This was a couple of minutes off the charger/tender. Wonder if I should be saving some money towards a new one this spring?? The Yamaha Manual doesn't tell me much. Just a group size 9BS. And 8A at 10Hr.
If I need to look into a battery, What brands do you recommend? I am thinking either a Yuasa or an Interstate. Interstate is Expensive. And I may have a problem getting it local. Unless a shop can order it for me. There is also a Big difference in Weight. Yuases is about 7 Lbs. Interstate is roughly 9. I am also considering a Bikmaster Platinum II AGM. Any thought on a Gel? I see I can get that. But I noticed the CCA is lower. Not having the info on how much CCA I need.

Thanks
Chris

Answer
Chris, Yuasa or Motocell are both good ones also Interstate batteries are good. The gel battery can be more expensive than an acid type but you can even find a maintenance free unit.
 Just get a shop to look up the bike in an aftermarket book and it should list the battery it needs and what the specs are and what is available. Most any shop can do this for you because the battery could fit numerous things. Most Bikemaster products are cheaper but a dealership could charge for OEM parts and make more for themselves. You could do some research and even go to Walmart and look in their battery book and see the specs. However the batteries they use have a different code on them. Yuasa could have a YTX and Walmart could have ES- Bikemaster could use BTX and so forth. Just check the cca,and the rest of the code to make sure the terminals are on the correct side and the size will fit.

Motorcycle Repair

Gary Blake