Motorcycle Repair/cb77 petcock

I need to replace the fuel petcock on my cb77. It is the early style with the fuel cross over pipe and 2 pipes for the carb.s. I have not been able to locate this style petcock. Any advise?

Richard... Petcocks have been a problem recently, but only if you feel obliged to use the crossover system between the two sides of the fuel tank.  In 1967 Honda deleted the crossover tube on the fuel tank and issued a petcock which did not have the crossover fuel fitting, although I think I have seen one with a rubber cap on the crossover tube fitting, as well.

Personally, I run a long hose from side to side and loop it over the frame tube, which allows me to remove the fuel tank without all the mess that happens when you remove one end of the tubing from either side of the crossover system.

There are lots of CB350-450 petcocks on eBay, which fit the fuel tank threads of the CB72-77s just fine. That leaves you with a fuel fitting on the tank which can be capped off with a good piece of fuel line and a plug with a couple of wire clamps to secure it in place.

I have refurbished some used petcocks using new 5mm brass tubing to replace the original main fuel tube that tends to crack down the sides. I bought the tubing from an online hobby store. If the threads are damaged or there is other serious damage to the petcock body, then it will have to be replaced.

I have one spare refurbished petcock in my spares now, if you can't repair yours sufficiently.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.