Motorcycle Repair/ht leads

aus dream
aus dream  
Bill, I have a early 64 dream c77, probably general export model as its australian compliant. i noticed in one of somebody elses questions that you said the ht leads from a 305 dream ignition coil could be unscrewed at the coil tower if this true then it will save me some heartache as my leads are quite ratty ,with perished insulation and i would like to replace them without cutting and joining. look forward to yr reply
         thanks, justin

Justin, I see that you have a "late" Dream, which is probably stamped C78 on the chassis. The earlier version C(A)77 chassis (1960-62/3) had a dual-tower coil with replaceable high tension leads, but after that the coils were encapsulated and had the leads as a part of the coil body. People have been known to cut the terminals back enough to remove the wire leads, which leaves a hole with spike terminal tip protruding. New solid-core wires can then be pushed into the recesses and then a high temp RTV-silicone sealer used to secure them in place.

In a recent search for a coil for my Type 2 CL72, I ran across coils from the XS650 site which offers an aftermarket 4.5 ohm coil for about $50. The Yamaha XS650s had two choices for coil setups, twin coils or a single dual-lead unit.

This is a long-standing issue with the newer Dreams, so there is a big demand for the earlier coils or suitable replacements.

Item# 231043372708

Item # 200812692481  with reservations as the coil has a 2.5 ohm primary resistance, which may overheat in service with points/condenser ignition. They are claiming that the coil will work for 250-305 twins, however.

I had to re-edit the URL as the allexperts system was truncating the whole line, cutting off the item numbers. Hopefully, it goes through completely when I hit SEND.

Bill Silver  

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.