You are here:

Motorcycle Repair/ironhead gaskets


I have a 1976 ironhead 1000xlch. my oil pump is leaking around the body plate gasket and I was wondering if you can change it wile the motor is in the bike. and the two bolts on the bottom of the engine for draining oil or do they hold something inside the motor'thanks

the motor mount bolts have to be removed and the motor tilted to get the oil pump out. If you dont have room to tilt it then it has to be removed Also, you have to remove the cam cover to time the oil pump. The bolts on the bottom of the motor can be removed with a problem

Motorcycle Repair

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mike Wells


PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION!!! I CAN ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT HARLEYS !!! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT OTHER MODELS!!! IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ABOUT A NON HARLEY BIKE IT WILL GET REJECTED!!!I have a Harley only shop with 30 years experience located in Ohio. We specialize in complete and total repair, restoration, hi-performance, and custom bike building. I can work on Flat Heads to Twin Cams. Please, dont ask how much somthing is going to cost to fix. Labor prices differ all over te country as well as shop to shop!


If its broke on a harley we can repair it. We do complete restoration from the frame up, engine and trans rebuilding, remapping and custom bike building

School of hard knocks!

©2017 All rights reserved.