Motorcycle Repair/1984 yamaha virago 1000 cc (981)

Question
QUESTION: I am having trouble with the rear cyl.carb on my newly acquired
1984 virago 1000 cc with hitachi carbs. when trying to accelerate
the bike holds back and won't wind up to its full potential .When I pulled the plugs the front cyl . looks a slightly orangeish tan color. the rear plug is wet and black .and after I replace it . It does the same thing in a short time. And then becomes almost impossible to start. unless I change the fouled plug again.  Im familiar with bikes and I have the CD manual for this bike. But trouble shooting problems such as this is not its strongest point. Can you kindly help me  fix this problem? Thank You for taking the time to help me get this bike where I can enjoy it ..       Bob

ANSWER: Hi Bob.
First off the Front cylinder sounds like its OK.
The rear cylinder is running to rich. And to rich of a mixture can foul a plug quickly.
There are several things it could be. Jet needles installed backwards. Main Jets installed
backwards. Pilot Jet Screw for that rear Carb is out of adjustment.
You contacted the right guy. (drvirago777) I am a Virago Carburetor Specialist and Rebuild Virago carburetors for a Living. My website: www.viragocarb.com
Try turning in the Pilot Jet screw for the Rear, clockwise in 1 full turn and try it again.
I can Rebuild the set back to like new condition if you would like.
I also can offer Tech support with installation and tuning...Joe

QUESTION: Hi Joe: Is the $225 or $195 for the both carbs or is this your price to rebuild each carb.   Thank you ...........Bob

Answer
The $195.00 is a Very basic rebuild using the carbs screws and jets, just new gaskets.
The Other $225.00 is what I call a Max Rebuild. All screws replaced with SS allen head cap screws,
New bowl drain screws, and also you get new spark plugs and new manifold-rings and new U-cup shaft seals installed.
either one is a Professional Rebuild. Its just the Max is a more in depth Rebuild, with more new parts..

Motorcycle Repair

william joseph stack