Motorcycle Repair/1986 yamaha virago

I got the timing marks on crank and cam how book says  N  shows OK but piston comes about half way down before intake valve begins to open book says T on magneto is for rear cylinder and I is for front cylinder I did have motor running fr cyl spark plug looks like new rear cyl spark plug black front cyl exh pipe real hot rear cyl exh pipe cool I have been F===ING WITH THIS FOR TO LONG !!!! WHAT DO I NEED TO DO ????????8

Linda, I'm not sure I can help but here goes. These bikes used Hitatchi carbs and didnt hold up well. The rear cylinder has slightly larger jets in the carbs to run richer to keep the cylinder cool. With the crappy gas we have been getting the jets in the carbs may be building up with a film. Also the intake valve should open just after the piston starts its travel down the cylinder. Recheck the valve to flywheel timing, as the tensioner may have allowed the timing chain to jump. If I remember right there is enough clearance above the piston a valve face they should not hit and bend.

Motorcycle Repair

Gary Blake

I have built from ground up race winning motocross bikes and atvs as well as atv,s for flat track and TT racing. I am starting to take on the utv challenges now for racing. This is a new area for me so Im in a learning curve.

I have extensive experience in off road motorcycles and atv,s.I also work on street bikes and personal watercraft, Some experience was self taught and some was factory trained. I have been working in the powersports industry since the mid 70,s I hope I can help. Thanks Gary

Was a sponsor for K.O.R.R.(kansas off road riders) and now I am working with ROMEO,s (retired old motorcyclists eating out)and was in charge of the Quad Wars for the monster truck series in Central Kansas

Factory trained Kawasaki Heavy Industries. Factory trained GasGas motorcycles and atvs worked as a technician and was as a dealership owner.Kaw.Suz,Honda,Aprilia,Arctic cat,See Doo,Can Am, Bombardier,Yamaha,GasGas,Qingi,TM,Moto Guzzi,Harley,s