Motorcycle Repair/1979 Yamaha 750 SE

Question
Bike has an electronic ignition. The starter button does not work, can I kick start the bike? I was changing out the starter button and had it working until I touched wrong wires together resulting in me getting a mild shock from the start button housing and even the ignition key when trying to shut it off. Any ideas on what might have happened or how to diagnosis the problem? Thanks!

Answer
I cant be sure, but it sounds to me like when touching the 2 wires together
something melted to ground. A hot wire is touching the frame or other
somewhere. Get a test meter and begin testing the 2 wires you touched together
for continuity to ground. It one of the is making contact with the frame or ground
then trace it down. Sometimes the wire come loose and touch ground inside
the right hand controls where the starter button is located.

Motorcycle Repair

william joseph stack