Motorcycle Repair/1982 GL 500 backfired then stopped working

I changed the thermostat in my silverwing then took it out for a test drive. I noticed there was a leak on the left side but i kept riding. It was running great but after about 5 miles it backfired twice then shut down. It's on an electric starter, when I tried starting it there was no power and the headlight wouldn't turn on either.

Any ideas about what i should look at to see where the problem is?  I appreciate any direction you can give me, thanks.

Jerry, a couple of things. There may be a relay in the lighting system that diverts power to the starter when starting up then the headlight will come on after it starts. Check the coolant level as it may have allowed the engine to run hot and seize up.

Motorcycle Repair

Gary Blake

I have built from ground up race winning motocross bikes and atvs as well as atv,s for flat track and TT racing. I am starting to take on the utv challenges now for racing. This is a new area for me so Im in a learning curve.

I have extensive experience in off road motorcycles and atv,s.I also work on street bikes and personal watercraft, Some experience was self taught and some was factory trained. I have been working in the powersports industry since the mid 70,s I hope I can help. Thanks Gary

Was a sponsor for K.O.R.R.(kansas off road riders) and now I am working with ROMEO,s (retired old motorcyclists eating out)and was in charge of the Quad Wars for the monster truck series in Central Kansas

Factory trained Kawasaki Heavy Industries. Factory trained GasGas motorcycles and atvs worked as a technician and was as a dealership owner.Kaw.Suz,Honda,Aprilia,Arctic cat,See Doo,Can Am, Bombardier,Yamaha,GasGas,Qingi,TM,Moto Guzzi,Harley,s