Motorcycle Repair/Can new fork tubes be cut?

Hi there! This is a more general question, so if you can't answer I understand. I have a bent fork on my 2006 Kawasaki ER-6F. I've been looking at replacing the bent fork tubes.

Are all 41mm fork tubes the same between make and model or do I need the exact specific fork tube for my make and model? If it is too long can't I just cut it down at the non-grooved side and smooth using files/sandpaper/other abrasives? I thought so long as the diameter matched it didn't really matter.

I would not cut forks at all, the bottom end has the fitting to secure it in the lower fork leg, and the upper part has the threads for the cap.  Buy the right fork leg for the application.  And usually both are bent, not just one...  Take them apart and roll them on a glass plate.  Good luck,  Jan

Motorcycle Repair

Jan Ringnalda

PLEASE NOTE: PLEASE READ THIS!!! I can help with questions ONLY on any Honda CBX-1000 motorcycle, only 1978 to 1982. OR 1981 to 1983 Honda CB1100R models ONLY Honda CBX/CB1100R motorcycles, Please NO other makes, no other models. IF YOUR QUESTION IS FOR ANY OTHER BIKE Your question MAY BE FORWARDED TO THE QUESTION POOL WHERE IT MAY NEVER BE ANSWERED. IF I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION, and you feel the need to give me marks lower than 10, first post a follow up question. If you mark me lower, I will respond and you run the risk I will never, ever, answer one of your questions again. I'm doing this free of charge, as a service to fellow motorcyclists. If you do not value my time, I do...

Have owned over 50 of these fine classic Honda motorcycles

International CBX Owners Association, SAE, Materials Research Society

CBXPress, VLMC magazine, Used Bike Guide

PhD in Materials Science, Post-Doc in prototyping automotive components