Motorcycle Repair/Wont downshift

I have a 1998 FLHT.
It downshifts ok to 3rd gear, but to keep downshifting to first, I have to lift up on the shifter with my toe before I push it down another gear.
It feels like there is a spring not returning the shifter to a position for the next downshift.
would that probably be a shifter pawl problem, or what should I look at when I start working on it?

You have a broken return spring.  This must be replaced A.S.A.P.  IF the broken spring is picked up in the oil and gets between the gears you will blow the trans, get it fixed now. You will have to remove the door and pull out the gear cluster to get at the spring.  Its a 2 dollar spring,  

Motorcycle Repair

southeast johnny

All Harley Davison bikes 1984 till 2013

44 years qith Harley davidson

Chicago Southside johnnys Hi performance Dyno tuning and custom maping 114 N Pacific ave San Pedro Ca. 90731 562_666_6062

Harley womwns magazine. Hot Bike mag, out law biker mag, supercycle mag, Too meny to list

Macter PhD technition, Dynojet owner and trained technition