Motorcycle Repair/Fork Oil

Question
QUESTION: I have a 1966 cb77 Superhawk and would like to change the fork oil, the two manuals I have refer to White spindle oil & differ in the amount.  What is the correct amount & what should be used?  Also should I flush out the forks & if so what should I use? Thanks

ANSWER: David, if your bike is an actual 1966 model with alloy fork sliders, the amount to use in the forks is 185cc to refill after draining or 200cc for a newly assembled dry fork. Most modern fork oils will work fine in the bike. Try either a 10w or 15w viscosity. If you have some paint thinner, that will work for a flush out of the old gunk, but if you took them apart, you would find a lot more that doesn't get flushed out, even with paint thinner or mineral spirits. If you do flush them out with one of those two products, try to blow some compressed air out from the top to bottom to help evacuate the remaining solvents before refilling.

Bill Silver

QUESTION: Thanks Bill I did exactly as you suggested.  I just picked up a 1965 CB77 (roller) and would also like to know the fork oil amount for the steel forks also, I checked them with a magnet. (just like you said 66 alloy, 65 magnet stuck ;-)

ANSWER: David, steel fork specs are 215-225cc with dry forks and 200-210cc on a refill situation.

I picked up a 1965 CB77 roller last week, too! Let me know if you need parts...

Bill Silver
www.vintagehonda.com

QUESTION: I will contact you when I get her sorted.  I would also like to know if the fork covers from my cb77 1965 will fit on my 1966 (steel vs alloy)

Answer
Possibly not....

See parts lists for applications and frame number fitment..

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb77-general-export_model14956/partslist/F02-1.html#r

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb77-general-export_model14956/partslist/F02.html#res

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver