Motorcycle Repair/Fork Oil

QUESTION: I have a 1966 cb77 Superhawk and would like to change the fork oil, the two manuals I have refer to White spindle oil & differ in the amount.  What is the correct amount & what should be used?  Also should I flush out the forks & if so what should I use? Thanks

ANSWER: David, if your bike is an actual 1966 model with alloy fork sliders, the amount to use in the forks is 185cc to refill after draining or 200cc for a newly assembled dry fork. Most modern fork oils will work fine in the bike. Try either a 10w or 15w viscosity. If you have some paint thinner, that will work for a flush out of the old gunk, but if you took them apart, you would find a lot more that doesn't get flushed out, even with paint thinner or mineral spirits. If you do flush them out with one of those two products, try to blow some compressed air out from the top to bottom to help evacuate the remaining solvents before refilling.

Bill Silver

QUESTION: Thanks Bill I did exactly as you suggested.  I just picked up a 1965 CB77 (roller) and would also like to know the fork oil amount for the steel forks also, I checked them with a magnet. (just like you said 66 alloy, 65 magnet stuck ;-)

ANSWER: David, steel fork specs are 215-225cc with dry forks and 200-210cc on a refill situation.

I picked up a 1965 CB77 roller last week, too! Let me know if you need parts...

Bill Silver

QUESTION: I will contact you when I get her sorted.  I would also like to know if the fork covers from my cb77 1965 will fit on my 1966 (steel vs alloy)

Possibly not....

See parts lists for applications and frame number fitment..

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.