Motorcycle Repair/rear brake light

The rear brake light on my 1979 Harley Davidson Low Rider is not coming on. Front brake makes light come on fine. I changed the bulb just to be sure. Rear brakes work fine, just not getting brake light to come on. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time Mike.

You have a brake light switch in the line going to the brake. It will have 2 wires going to it. When the switch is on one of the wires should have 12 volts and when you press the brake pedal the other one will be hot. If there is no power on either one then you have a short and will have to trace the wire. If you have power at one wire, but not the other, when you press the brake then the switch is bad and needs replaced.
Good luck and happy riding

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION!!! I CAN ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT HARLEYS !!! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT OTHER MODELS!!! IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ABOUT A NON HARLEY BIKE IT WILL GET REJECTED!!!I have a Harley only shop with 30 years experience located in Ohio. We specialize in complete and total repair, restoration, hi-performance, and custom bike building. I can work on Flat Heads to Twin Cams. Please, dont ask how much somthing is going to cost to fix. Labor prices differ all over te country as well as shop to shop!

If its broke on a harley we can repair it. We do complete restoration from the frame up, engine and trans rebuilding, remapping and custom bike building

School of hard knocks!