Motorcycle Repair/Voltage Issues?

RE: CL77 - I have installed a volt meter wired into the black wire split in the headlight bucket.  I also have a volt meter on the battery & I get 12 to 14v on both until I turn on the headlight. then I get about 2 volts less on the headlight meter at cruise & overall voltage drops to 9.9v in headlight & to 11v on battery at idle.  The fuse also gets hot. I would also like to know what is the correct Amp fuse for the CL

John, the stock fuse is 15A. It is the only fuse and will get kind of hot when you are running the electrical system at full output. I will assume you have a stock 12v 30/35w headlight bulb in place. If you are seeing up to 14v on the battery, the charging system seems to be working as hard as it can. Late model stator/rotors only make about 1 amp on the output side, above about 3300 rpms. for wiring diagrams.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.