Motorcycle Repair/weak 30 amp main circuit breaker?

sometimes my 1998 xlh sportser cuts out.after an hour or so it starts right up. I cleaned the terminals on the breaker,but by that time, it reset itself. the bike srarted right up with no problem. Could I safely replace it with a 40 amp,or should I stay with a 30 amp? All other systems function properly,it just looses spark.Could I use a jumper wire across the 2 terminals in a pinch if I get stuck out on the road somewhere? Any help would be appriated. Thankyou,Jim

First, you need to make sure its the breaker. When it cuts out, test on both sides of the breaker, to see if you have 12 volts. If you do, then you have another problem. When you say it cuts out, is everything off? like lights and starter? If you don't have power then replace the breaker with another 30 amp. Don't go bigger

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION!!! I CAN ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT HARLEYS !!! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT OTHER MODELS!!! IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ABOUT A NON HARLEY BIKE IT WILL GET REJECTED!!!I have a Harley only shop with 30 years experience located in Ohio. We specialize in complete and total repair, restoration, hi-performance, and custom bike building. I can work on Flat Heads to Twin Cams. Please, dont ask how much somthing is going to cost to fix. Labor prices differ all over te country as well as shop to shop!

If its broke on a harley we can repair it. We do complete restoration from the frame up, engine and trans rebuilding, remapping and custom bike building

School of hard knocks!