Motorcycle Repair/ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

Question
SHOVELHEAD
SHOVELHEAD  
I HAVE A 1971 SHOVELHEAD. I INSTALLED A DYNA  DUAL FIRE IGNITION A FEW YEARS AGO I WAS RIDING A COUPLE DAYS AGO WHEN IT STARTED ACTING LIKE IT WAS RUNNING OUT OF GAS SO I HIT RESERVE AND PULLED INTO GAS STATION. FILLED UP ONLY TOOK 2 1/2 GALLONS SO I HAD A GALLON LEFT  WENT TO START BIKE AND IT TOOK AWHILE TO GET IT STARTED AGAIN WAS ON WAY TO CAR SHOW 5 MILES AWAY JUST ABOUT THERE AND IT DIED ALSO TOOK AWHILE TO START AGAIN BUT IT DID WENT THE HALF MILE TO PULL IN AND SHUT IT OFF LEFT IT SIT FOR AWHILE AND LOOKED AT CARS AND BIKES HAD A FEW BIKER BUDDIES HELP ME LOOK AT IT WHEN STARTING THE TACH WIRES MELTED SO I TOOK THE WIRES OFF AND KEPT TRYING TO START NO LUCK BUDDY HAD EXTRA COIL PUT IT ON AND STILL DIDNT START PULLED PLUG AND CHECKED FOR SPARK NOTHING SO TOWED HOME PULLED NOSE CONE COVER OFF AND TOOK OUT IGNITION AND FOUND BROKEN SPRING ON THE WEIGHTS SO REPLACED THAT PUT BACK TOGETHER DIDNT START PULLED TANK TO CHECK WIRES ALL GOOD HAVE POWER TO BOTTOM OF COIL BUT WHEN I CHECK TOP WHEN TRYING TO START NO POWER OR SPARK DID I FRY THE ELECTRONIC IGNITION IS THERE A WAY TO CHECK IT THE COIL WERE CHECKED AD BOTH OF THEM I TRIED

ARE GOOD SORRY FOR RAMBLING ON BUT SURE COULD USE SOME ADVICE THANKS

Answer
Electrical Short. My Favorite. Just Kidding. They are Not My favorite.
From what you told me I figure something went to Ground. Maybe a wire vibrated against
the Frame and rubbed through causing a short. A hot wire shorted and caused the Tach. wires to melt. Is that broken spring a kind of fuse and the spring breaks or melts to protect a circuit?
I would check for bad fuses first. Then inspect the wiring to see if you can find what caused the issue, as if you don't find what caused the problem. You will be melting wires and blowing fuses left and right. That hot wire that feed the tach also feeds the starter solenoid and all of them are energized from the ignition switch. Man its time to get a Volt/Ohm Meter and go Fishing. Disconnect the Battery and begin testing the hot wires to the frame until you find continuity. Then trace the grounded hot wire to the short. I wish I was there to Help.
I will try to give some direction in Trouble-Shooting. I have a Website with more Contact Info.
www.viragocarb.com. I am a Motorcycle Carburetor Specialist. But I have dealt with my share of Electrical Issues, including Shorts... Joe

Motorcycle Repair

william joseph stack