Motorcycle Repair/1980 CB 750 Honda

Hi Bill Building a bike in my garage bough a dohc 750 the starter kicks in fine when I engage it to the motor it won't turn it over. I have the plugs all out and cane turn the motor over with a socket  and ratchet very easy. any ideas.

Sounds like the starter clutch roller springs are fatigued/broken so that the starter clutch hub won't stay engaged with the rest of the system.   #5

The springs keep the rollers in contact with the hub while the starter motor pulls things over, then the centrifugal force causes the rollers to fly up and away from the hub surface.

Bill Silver  

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.