Motorcycle Repair/engine rattle

I have a 1993 Honda CBR 600FP with 32,300 miles on the clock. Engine starts and runs OK but when starting if engine is warm there is sometimes a rattle which seems to be from the top end. Could this be a cam chain or tensioner problem or perhaps a valve problem.Perhaps it may be something else, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Russ, it is highly likely that the camchain tensioner has failed. However if the bike has been making his rattle for a long time, the loose chain and mileage on the engine may require a new camchain AND tensioner. Try a mechanical tensioner first...

I believe that Honda has warrantied many of the later model CCTs, but yours may be too old or wasn't included in the recall actions.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.