Motorcycle Repair/Honda CB750FA 1980

More problems.I now find my 750 has 900 Keihlin carbs VB51s
They have jets as per 750 and standard airbox but at tickover its very rich.Am I wasting my time trying to run on these carbs?Help most appreciated.

Bill, I don't think the carburetor venturis are any larger on the 900 carburetors, as the piston valve part number is the same for both models. Calibrations are different, though..

primary main jet/main jet/idle jet
(if used)
068/102/35 cb750 16012-425-601 needle

068/98/42  cb900 16012-438-003 needle

So you need to see what calibrations you have on the carbs on the bike and adjust accordingly.

Bill Silver  

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.