Motorcycle Repair/Throttle Lubricant

Hi Bill,
What lubricant do you recommend for keeping the throttle mechanism sliding smoothly? I have a later model Dream 305 with the in-the-handlebar slide type throttle. Since the weather has started to cool off, I've noticed the throttle isn't moving as easily as it was during the summer. Also, what is the correct length of the throttle cable for this setup (p/n 17910-271-000)?

Tony, a light layer of fresh lithium white grease is sufficient for the throttle mechanism on the later Dreams and Benly 150 models. Both bikes actually share the same throttle cable/dimensions. Normally I don't have the cable lengths for the Dreams at hand, but I am reassembling a 1965 Dream at the moment and the throttle cable is still loose in a box.

Outer housing length is about 34.25 and overall length of the inner cable is about 37"

These cable setups are not expected to be self-returning like a twist throttle. The carb slide spring isn't strong enough to be able to return the throttle drum back to idle if you let the throttle go from a part throttle setting. Some of the throttle housings have an additional friction spring with screw adjustment underneath that increases the throttle cable return friction... ancient cruise control.

Bill Silver  

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.