Motorcycle Repair/tune up specifications

I have a 66 honda 305 dream and I need the points and plug
Gaps and the timing setting. The lifter clearance wouldn't
Hurt either. Thanks I really appreciate it.

Point gap is .012-.016" set on the high spot of the point cam, then move the point plate until you get them to OPEN right at the F mark on the rotor.

Plugs are pre-gapped from the factory, usually about .026"

Tappet clearance is .004" cold on intake/exhaust valves when they are on the T mark (compression stroke).

I offer extensive repair information on a CD or download. see notes on my website for details.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.