Motorcycle Repair/VIN CA77

Could you tell me what year VIN# CA78-1010904 is?  Thanks

John, Honda started using the 7-digit serial numbers for the 1965-on production runs. There was no clean break between 1965, 66 and 67 as far as serial numbers go. Your bike is 10,904 since the beginning of 1965 production.

AHMC sales charts show about 14,755 bikes sold in the 1965 sales year, but that number could have included leftover pre-1965 models, as well. In any case I would put the bike in as a late 1965 production machine. If you drop the motor out of the frame, look up on the wiring harness which may still have a white tag showing the year of production ... of the harness. It may or may not accurately reflect the year of manufacture, but I think the late 1965 time-frame seems about right to me.

I have extensive restoration/repair guide information available on CD or download, all are PDF files and the whole package prints out about 2,000 pages. See my site for more details.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.