Motorcycle Repair/Honda Dream carb

Question
I am trying to remove the carb for cleaning it has sat for 30 years I can't seam to get throttle slide out of the top of the carb and I don't want to force it am I missing something it gets stuck right at the top

Answer
Cal,  After sitting that long, no doubt there is considerable varnish buildup on the slide which is holding tight in the carb body.

Assuming that you have it removed from the back of the head and it is just hanging from the cable, you might try to unhook the cable from the throttle housing and draw it back through the chassis so the carb can be removed with the cable still attached.

Once it is where you can work on it, try spray carb cleaner on both sides of the slides that are available and even down the top if the slide has come up some. Let it soak for a few minutes, spray again and then use something like chopsticks with a flattened out tip to start prying up on the carb slide on the inlet side. Do NOT use hard tools as you can damage the edges of the slide and/or the carb body, which is made of a soft pot metal material.

Keep spraying and turning it as much as you can and it should eventually loosen up and pull all the way out.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver