Motorcycle Repair/tach/miss

I have a 1979 low Rider and the tach at times (more often than not) is bouncing all over the place. Checked wire at coil that goes to tach and it appeared ok. The bike when it gets warm will also seem to have a miss when driving down the road and tach bouncing all over. When bike is warm and in neutral, while tach is bouncing, neutral light flashes also. Is there any relationship with these two problems? Is it coil or ignition or something else electrical?

You probably have 3 different problems. The tac bouncing all over is common with those old tacs. It picks up an impulse from the coil, when the coil fires. There is no repair for the tac, you have to replace it. Is the miss just every once in a while, like a cough? On the neutral light, the neutral switch is probably going bad

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION!!! I CAN ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT HARLEYS !!! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT OTHER MODELS!!! IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ABOUT A NON HARLEY BIKE IT WILL GET REJECTED!!!I have a Harley only shop with 30 years experience located in Ohio. We specialize in complete and total repair, restoration, hi-performance, and custom bike building. I can work on Flat Heads to Twin Cams. Please, dont ask how much somthing is going to cost to fix. Labor prices differ all over te country as well as shop to shop!

If its broke on a harley we can repair it. We do complete restoration from the frame up, engine and trans rebuilding, remapping and custom bike building

School of hard knocks!