Motorcycle Repair/Rear torque link.

Question
I have a 2001 Suzuki Marauder VZ 800 and my question is where the rear torque link connects to the back wheel is there supposed to be any play in where the torque link connects to the rear wheel or is the bolt supposed to be tight where the torque link doesn't move because on mine the rear torque link where it connects to the wheel has a little bit of side to side play in it should I tighten it down or is it supposed to have a little bit of play in it?

Answer
Hello Aaron,

The torque link does have a little "free play" on your bike by construction.Therefore no matter how much you tighten it, this "clearance" will still exist.
Despite that, just for peace of mind, you can check the nut's tightening torque, which should be 18lb/ft.

Latter models have a cushion washer, fitted between the bolt and the torque link, to prevent movement and "rattle". You can install it on your bike also as an improvement.
(http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-vz800-2005-2007-k5-k6-k7-usa_model16329/cushion_0932)

Merry Christmas and a happy new year,
Lazaros Ampatzidis.  

Motorcycle Repair

Lazaros Ampatzidis