Motorcycle Repair/1970 Honda CT90 Neutral Switch

The neutral switch indicator light is not working.  The bulb is good--I ground the bulb and it comes on.  I'm thinking that the neutral switch is not working.  Could you please tell me the location of the neutral switch?  My electrical schematic doesn't show it.  I would also appreciate any suggestions you may have as to why it isn't working.

Thank you,

John, the ground path for the neutral switch is in the left side engine case cover ahead of the drive sprocket.

When the transmission shifts into neutral, the rotor comes in contact with the switch wiring contact.  #15  #12

Grounding that wire should turn the neutral light back on again. Either the wire is loose/broken on the end, the wire is loose in the switch holder or the rotor contact is damaged/missing.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.